Saturday, January 24, 2009

Dog Log Cafe- Prejudice and Pride

I've always been fond of going to kennels. There was a time years ago when I would come to a cage that had a pit bull and I would always, without exception, walk on by without so much as a glance. Back then I know what was in the headlines and what I believed to be true. That these were vicious killers bred for only one purpose. I had a prejudice that like all prejudices had no foundation or a limited one at best.

Today I look at these and all dogs and evaluate them as individuals and not as a breed. I have met pit bulls that are the most timid creatures I have ever met. They both were rescued from a past where they lived as 'bait' dogs for the fighters in the pack. All the dogs, the bait and the fighters were not born bad or good- they were raised in a certain fashion that set their destiny. Humans did this- not dogs. I have also met dogs with a breed history of docility that are more aggressive than the so called dangerous breeds. Remember its not the dog or the breed, its how they are raised and trained by humans. Give each dog regardless of breed, the benefit of the doubt.

No comments:

Post a Comment